Wine How To

How to install Office 2010 and activate on wine

Get a 32 bit copy of the Office
You have to do installation and activation at the same time - activation does not work after the office is installed.

<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

<Setting Id="AUTO_ACTIVATE" Value="1" />

inside the "configuration" stanza. PIDKEY is the product key without dashes
install wine wine-mono (through wine) and winbind (through apt-get) - required for the installed to work properly

Install like this:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-office2010 wine setup.exe

In winecfg for this Wineprefix add riched20 as "native, buildin"
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-office2010 winecfg

After the installation run it and activate over the internet.
Run it again, it may ask for a reboot run
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-office2010 wineboot

If you want to install visio 2010

edit Visio.WW\config.xml
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

<Setting Id="AUTO_ACTIVATE" Value="1" />

and install in the separate wine prefix
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-visio2010 wine setup.exe

How to reinstall Office 2010 on wine

I've reinstalled ubuntu 15.04 to 16.04 and installed wine version 1.7.5. When I restored a backup of an already activated wine-office2010 prefix office kicked off the installer again, tried to install and came back with a message that it could not activate. It's a known issue that office 2010 could not activate after the install. It has to be activated during the install (see another note in this wiki).
Doing an indepth comparison between old and new system and the user hives (registry) showed some difference in fonts, but synchronizing them makes no difference. The hives were identical, except the keys office changed to indicate that it needed re-activation. All the hardware stayed the same, wine version the same. The only thing that changed between the installs, that seem to have triggered reactiovation is the change in the size of the home partition.

I then removed the old .wine-office prefix, created a blank one and did the installation per instructions above. It was installed successfuly, but then when I run word it asked to be activated, but when I clicked "activate over the internet" it could not activate with some 0x80.... error.

I then copied the old backup of the .wine-office prefix over the newly installed one except system, user and userdef .reg
rsync -varz --checksum --exclude "*.lnk" --exclude "system.reg" --exclude "user.reg" --exclude "userdef.reg" --password-file secrets --log-file restore-update.log rsync://server/home/user/.wine-office2010/ /home/user/.wine-office2010/

run it again and word or office no longer asked me about activation. the about said that they are activated. there must be some activation key in the files that told word that it got successfuly activated - because the registrly stayed the same

Same worked for visio - installing with the auto-activation enabled, running it to see the activation prompt, cancelling and rsyncing from the already activated wine installation. Especially suspicious were users/Public/Microsoft/OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform/tokens.dat and users/Public/Microsoft/OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform/Cache/cache.dat