FAR Manager Fixes
KDE Application launcher shortcut that conflicts with FAR comes back after reboot or logout
If you removed Alt-F1 using the KDE system settings only to have it come back the next time you booted the system try right-clicking on the K-menu and "Application Launcher Settings" -> "Keyboard shortcuts" and then removing it there.
If that did not work try killing the app launcher, then changing the shortcut and starting the launcher back up. It's likely that it re-writes your changes when exiting, so you need to keep it down when editing the shortcuts.
On KDE5 the settings are stored in .config/kglobalshortcutsrc but are being overwritten from .config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc. To fix:
pkill plasma vi /home/alex/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc plasmashell &
MS Office 2010 Virtual App causes a warning message to pop-up in FAR
If you are seeing "The specified module could not be found" message in FAR you need to modify the "open" command for the given file extension to make it kosher.
Example for the Excel 2010:
- In regedit rename HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open\command to something like HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open\command-bak
- Change the default (@) key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open to read
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CCM\VAppLauncher.exe /launch "Microsoft Excel 2010 14.0.4750.1000" "%1"
The above string came from the Excel startup shortcut, plus the "%1" for the file pointer.
If you are having troubles lunching the .xlsx extension make sure the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsm default entry says something like
For the other Office 2010 products use
- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Document.12\shell\Open\command @=C:\WINDOWS\system32\CCM\VAppLauncher.exe /launch "Microsoft Word 2010 14.0.4750.1000" "%1"
- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.Show.8\shell\Open\command @=C:\WINDOWS\system32\CCM\VAppLauncher.exe /launch "Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 14.0.4750.1000" "%1"
Be patient, it may take 5-10 sec for the Office splash window to come up after you press Enter on a file in FAR.
FAR goes into an office document as if it were an archive
Configure arclite to ignore the office extensions:
- Press Alt-Shift-F9, pick arclite
- Exclude the files matching masks: *.doc,*.doc?,*.xls,*.xls?,*.ppt,*.ppt?,*.vsd,*.vsd?
FAR under Wine/Linux shows a /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file error
Tested on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit
- Install getlibs
sudo dpkg -i getlibs_2.06-0ubuntu1~ppa2_all.deb
- Install the 32bit lib
getlibs -p gnome-keyring:i386
- Make the symbolic link
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/
sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so